Saturday, May 3, 2008

Ann Lives

Hello to All,

The oncologist came into our room Thursday morning to discuss the results of the tests and scans. He concluded that the cancer had consumed the liver and that it was shutting down. She was in D.I.C., which meant that her blood was no longer clotting. Ann’s counts would not rebound so that she could receive chemo, nor would chemo do any good. There was nothing else they could do to fight the cancer. We had run out of lifeboats.

I made a few phone calls from the hospital stairwell. I told Ann’s mom when she arrived at the hospital. Her brother decided to go ahead and come down from St. Joseph. I called Paul who was still at school in Arkansas and I told the other three kids when they came to the hospital that evening. Our only hope had always been God, since medical science offered no cure. However, the reality of that fact hit incredibly hard Thursday evening.

Before visiting hours were over, we had another time of prayer with the kids. I wept as shared with them that over 100 people had already responded to my email indicating that they would never quit praying. I read a couple of those emails to the kids. I then prayed – with a measure of faith – the four requests that we had prayed during this battle.

  • That God would physically heal Ann so that she can teach our kids and grandkids that "there is nothing our God cannot do."
  • That God would heal Ann so that we could together be labors in the harvest in Asia.
  • That God would heal Ann in such a manner so that no one would give credit to the doctors or chemo, but that everyone would know that it was God who had healed her.
  • That God would demonstrate the reality of the resurrection by delivering Ann from death’s grip.
We sent the kids off with plans to have them out of school a bit early so they could hang out at the hospital with Ann Friday evening. I then read each of the emails that had been sent. By the time I shut off my laptop at 1:00 am, there were close to 150. I sobbed with each email that I read. Person after person said they would keep praying. Several shared stories of their own miracles of deliverance. You will never know how encouraged I was by your responses.

The emails provided overwhelming confirmation to a conclusion that I had drawn a few weeks prior. If God’s will was to physically heal Ann, enough faith had been demonstrated by us, as well as our “four friends,” that God would be free to execute his will. No lack of participation would be a hindrance.

At 4:00 am a team of doctors and technicians converged on our room because Ann’s blood pressure had dropped. They concluded that Ann should be moved to the ICU. I called Paul at 5:00 am and said that he needed to leave Arkansas immediately. He was in the basement taking shelter from a tornado. My prayer became, “Oh God. Don’t you let Ann die before Paul gets here.” I’m not sure of the impact that would have had on either Paul or me. Ann’s brother had her mom and the kids in the hospital by 6:15. Though I had no information yet from the doctors, I told the kids that I didn’t know if Ann would make it through the day.

The ICU opened up at 8:30 and I took the kids in to see Ann. She recognized them and they were able to tell them that they loved her. Friends started arriving. Paul and Steffi made it by 10:30. Ann smiled and was able to make a few comments to them.

In July 2006, after the initial diagnosis, I read Psalms to Ann in the hospital room because I had nothing else to say. I did the same in her ICU room.

Sometime around noon the nurse indicated that everyone needed to be in the room. Ann was surrounded by her husband and kids, her mom, brother and his wife, and several close friends. We were weeping, telling her we loved her, and encouraging her to go to be with Jesus. It was a fitting end to her life. I was reading from John 11:25-26 when she quietly died at 12:22 pm.

John 11:25-26:
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?"

The speed at which Ann’s death came this week has been shocking. I know that you will pray for the kids and me. Mother’s Day, Ann’s birthday, and Drew’s graduation are all in the next few weeks. For us it’s just half-time.

We will likely have the following services. Details are still being arranged.

Monday, May 5th, 5:00 pm
Memorial Service
North Highlands Bible Church
Dallas, Texas

Wednesday, May 7th, 10:00 am
Memorial Service
Fredrick Boulevard Baptist Church
St. Joseph, Missouri

Friday, May 9th, 10:00 am
Funeral and Burial
Perry Bible Church
Perry, Iowa


Love,
Howard & Ann
Paul, Drew, Hannah & Matt

No comments: