Monday, May 5, 2008

I Miss You, Mom (From Paul)

Mom, words cannot express how much I miss you. The void that has been left from your passing is at times, unbearable and unreal. I find myself missing you and thinking of everything that I will miss you at as life continues on without you in our midst. I think of my college graduation, my wedding or my first child. I think of not hearing your laugh, seeing your smile or feeling your hugs. I will miss not being able to talk to you to get advice on dating "Weffi." I will miss not being able to see you around the house or eating your chicken enchiladas that everyone loved so much. I will miss the birthdays you won't be there for or the vacations that won't be as wonderful with out you there. I don't know how anything will ever be the same again with out you around or with us.

But to only think of what you will not be here for is wrong and unfair to you and all that you did and were to your family and friends. Instead, I will try to remember everything you were here for. My high school graduation, all the proms and homecomings and taking me to college. I will remember the times you did laugh, the times when your beautiful smile brightened my day, and the times when the warmth of your hug would heal the scabs and wounds, real and figurative, that life left on my body and heart. It is hard to think that this is the greatest wound of all and one which your laugh, smile or hugs cannot solve, heal or take away.

Still, I will remember the advice you did give, the way you taught me to love and treat women and all people in general. I will remember all the wonderful times we had. The time you were thrown out of my basketball game for being too adamant about your displeasure with the refs. I will remember the way you always took care of your husband and kids before you even thought of yourself, even while you were sick. I will remember the beautiful, loving woman you were, the lives you touched, the way you loved, the wisdom you shared, and the faith you passed on.

Thank you for always loving us selflessly and whole heartedly. You taught me how to live and serve others and God and love Him above all else. Through your relationship with Dad, I learned the commitment, service, love and fun that is required for a healthy marriage.

You showed me the service and selflessness of parenthood and taught me the grace and love of a perfect mother. You fought so long because all you wanted was to watch us grow up with Dad and be there for us as we get married and have kids. You never thought of yourself. Ever. You are dearly missed and life will always be emptier with out you. The void your passing leaves will never be filled. The wounds, although they grow smaller will never fully heal without your loving touch. I love you and will see you again someday. But not yet. First, I will run the race that has been set before me, living the faith the way you taught me and showed me: loving God and others and living for Him above all else.

I love you Mom.
Paul

No comments: